Sunday, August 15, 2010

Suicide Watch

“Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”-Donahue

“I just couldn’t live with myself knowing I had just killed myself.”-?

“Why kill yourself? Life will do it for you.”-?

“Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.”-Donahue

“Life is like a movie, if you've sat through more than half of it and its sucked every second so far, it probably isn't gonna get great right at the end and make it all worthwhile. None should blame you for walking out early.”-Stanhope

Dustin Johnson goes on suicide watch for a "tuck-rule-esque" golf abomination/rule.


 



Dustin Johnson went from a put to Par and win the tournament to a double bogey and missing out on the playoff because he grounded the ball in a "bunker." The thing is the "bunker" wasn't a "bunker" I mean is a bunker a bunker if 125 people & camera guys stand in it?

Official USGA on bunkers...

13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions:

Except as provided in the Rules, before making a stroke at a ball that is in a hazard (whether a bunker or a water hazard) or that, having been lifted from a hazard, may be dropped or placed in the hazard, the player must not:
a. Test the condition of the hazard or any similar hazard;
b. Touch the ground in the hazard or water in the water hazard with his hand or a club; or
c. Touch or move a loose impediment lying in or touching the hazard.


The worse thing about this is that he probably would not have been assessed the penalty had it happened on Thursday or Friday and this lack of inconsistency is troubling. If Johnson had the same situation take place on his third hole of the second round, chances are no cameras would have picked it up and/or cared, so Johnson would have unknowingly kept going without assessing himself a stroke.


Later on CBS...
"I don't know if I can describe it. ... It never once crossed my mind that I was in a sand trap. ... The only thing worse could be if I had made that putt. ... I just thought I was on a piece of dirt that the crowd had trampled down. ... Obviously, I know the rules of golf. I can't ground my club in a bunker." 

"I don't know if I can describe it. ... It never once crossed my mind that I was in a sand trap. ... The only thing worse could be if I had made that putt. ... I just thought I was on a piece of dirt that the crowd had trampled down. ... Obviously, I know the rules of golf. I can't ground my club in a bunker."  

"If it was up to me, I wouldn't have thought I was in a bunker, but it's not up to me." 

Jason Sobel summed things up nicely below...

It's a bunker. He grounded his club. Should be a penalty.

The fact that there's an inconsistency between players all week never having such a ruling reviewed and Dustin Johnson having his reviewed by officials only because he was leading on the final hole is completely bogus.

If golf's organizations want to go to television replays, they need to set up cameras on every single hole of every course and review every shot afterward. Of course that shouldn't happen, but why should one player be penalized only because of bad timing for his mistimed mishap.
 

Please please please somebody go home with Dustin Johnson and under no circumstance is he to be left alone not even to use the restroom. Give him days and time to cool off (not alone) and absolutely no sharp objects.  

Do you and or we care who wins now? Probably, but you can't be faulted for not caring. Undoubtedly more drama will ensue, but it can't top what has already happened. 
 
This is my Minority Report.  

No comments:

Post a Comment